veggie rules

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Vegetarian Food for Baby

I've had the last few days with my daughter & granddaughter (who is absolutely delightful, not being biased) and have been having amazing vegetarian and vegan foods.  Cooking is something both my daughter and I love to do so we have come up with some crazy meal combos.

What I have found very interesting is how she is feeding my granddaughter.  Let me put you in the picture…..She is now 11 months old and is still getting her main "food" from nursing but is supplementing with solids at breakfast and dinner and this is what I do find fascinating.

When my children were young I used to cook up the variety of veggies and used a contraption we called a moulie to mash the veggies into a baby consistency (if you get my drift).  My daughter is doing something totally different.

If you are not aware….it is always best to use whole grains and whole rice instead of the packaged "ground" variety - this way you will get the best nutritional value from it.  She used a coffee bean grinder which not only achieved the right texture but also made it so much quicker to cook meaning that she was able to cook the grains or rice immediately before serving and in a short space of time.

Of course she still "moulied" the veggies or fruit to add to the rice/grains - so some of the old fashioned way was still there.  What made me the happiest was that she was using fresh and/or whole ingredients instead of packet or tinned.  This baby is certainly getting a great start in life!

To see the coffee grinders I recommend have a look on my page here at The Vegetarian Center 



No comments:

Post a Comment

veggie rules