veggie rules

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dumpster Diving Also Known As Freeganism.

Quite a number of years ago I learned that my vegan son went dumpster diving. My initial reaction was one of "ew yuk!" and I sort of refused to believe that he would do that.

So, let's back the truck up a bit and I'll explain what dumpster diving is just in case you don't know.
It's known by a few different names - freegan, skipping, bin-diving,  D-mart, containering and tatting.  But, regardless of what it's called, it's the same thing - it is sifting through, mainly commercial, trash to find items which are useful to the person doing the diving.  In most cases, this is food items.  However, more often than not, the diver will find other items which usually are in pristine condition.


Getting back to my son.  It wasn't until I was visiting him and enjoying the most delicious vegan meal that he told me that everything I was eating had come from his dumpster diving.  Inspecting his pantry and fridge, I was amazed at the quantity and quality of the food (needless to say, the meal was delicious!).



I've since read up, researched and ask my son what gems he's found and thoroughly support those who are freegans.  The absolute waste that happens in our society is outrageous……so all you dumpster divers out there - you have my blessing, just wish I was young enough to go do it myself - guess I'm just a bit of a scared-y cat!

Here's just what you need for Thrifty Living it's not about freeganism or dumpster diving, but in this economy it just could help.


The Vegetarian Center




No comments:

Post a Comment

veggie rules