veggie rules

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

No Matter What You Eat - Make It Natural!

Now as you are all well aware  I am a vegetarian - duh, the name of this blog says it all.  There's a likelihood that many of you reading this are omnivores (meat and veg type people) and I don't have a problem with that.  It's not that you eat meat - it's what meat you eat, where it comes from, how it's "farmed" and how it's killed.

There is an animal product out there called "foie gras" and in case you don't know what it is - it is goose (or duck) liver.  The problem is how it is produced.  The geese are force fed as in tubes down their gullets and grain poured down type of force feeding in order to fatten the liver to produce foie gras.

It has always been a practice that has disgusted me - I put it right up there with caged hens etc and so my blog today was going to be on the production of this "elite" food.  My foray into YouTube to get a suitable video (which, of course, would have to have had a "warning" with it) led me to this video by a well known chef, Dan Barber from New York.  What makes Dan Barber stand out from many other brilliant chefs is his ecological approach to cuisine.

O.k., so getting back to foie gras.  I watched the video and decided that instead of the gruesome horror of the foie gras farming I would post up this one instead.  It is a positive, funny, interesting video that really says it all about how we should be "farming" our foods be they meat or vegetable.

I commend Dan Barber for continuing to not offer foie gras on the menu at his restaurants - may he continue to educate omnivores that, in order to stop the cruelty and the un-sustainability of un-natural farming practices, they must start buying organic, free range and, where possible, locally produced meat.

It's a long video - but I'm sure you'll enjoy it.


If you really want to see the horror of foie gras farming here's the link Foie Gras  Cruelty   - Be warned this video is not for the faint hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

veggie rules