veggie rules

Monday, August 22, 2011

2011 International Year of the Forest.

See the title......did you even know that????  I didn't and it's now late August - so what's up with that, where's the education?  Personally I think that it's really important that we stop butchering our forests so the more the message gets out there the better.

I got a WWF magazine in my mailbox today (which is how I found out about this year) and I read that they are promoting a target of zero net deforestation and forest degradation by 2020 which reflects the scale and urgency needed to tackle threats to the world's forests and climate.
Here's a thought....why don't we go back to using hemp for making paper instead of wood????  Now there's a good story - Back in the day hemp was used for making fabric, paper and other necessities - brilliant, However, in the early 1930's, Randolf Hearst  (I'm sure you've heard of him) owned a good deal of timber acreage; one might say that he had the monopoly on this market. The threatened advent of mass hemp production proved a considerable threat to his massive paper-mill holdings -- he stood to lose many, many millions of dollars to the lowly hemp plant. Ahh, there it is....money wins the day.  The clever Hearst utilized his immense national network of newspapers and magazines to spread wildly inaccurate and sensational stories of the evils of cannabis.  I don't think I need to tell you what happened next.......it became illegal.

Now we get back to the forests.  The paper industry is just one thing that needs wood, but look at all the paper we use - just take a glance around your computer.....paper???? sure there is - and what about round the rest of the house.  I'm not asking you to stop using paper, but you sure can do your bit by recycling where you can, buying recycled paper products and searching out a bit more on what you can do for our sweet, darling, planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

veggie rules