veggie rules

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Grow Your Own Vegetables

I have a little bit of a back yard and luckily I'm able to grow a few vegetables.  The sun is perfect and the soil is good, so the veggie patch usually offers me a good supply of the basics. 

At some point I will get into growing more of a variety of odd veggies, but for now, while I'm still getting the hang of it I've tended to go with the more traditional - you know, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce etc.


I've even started from seeds, and if I can do it…..then there's no reason why you can't grow your own vegetables too.

If you have a close look at the photo on top you'll see that, on the right, I've used an old tire (I've actually got three tires).  Got them for nothing from the local garage and made sure that they had the biggest/widest opening (the bit that goes round the wheel…see, I'm no car expert!)  They make super raised beds.

In the other photo, I managed to get an old wheel barrow from a friend of mine - one that was destined to be thrown out - nothing like recycling!!!  I got some holes drilled in the bottom, filled it up with good compost soil and, voila, great for the strawberries.  It would also make a great herb garden.

Like I said, I'm a bit of a beginner at this, but I did have help…..the books below have been amazing and I'm continuing to use them.  If you want to know what the books offer just click on the picture below.

I love my garden, it doesn't need a lot of time spent on it and some of the produce doesn't even get into the house - I eat it on the spot - Life is grand!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have done raised beds a couple of years...this year instead of overkill, I'm planting what we will use and what I can take care of.....nice article...my great grandmother used to use tires to hold her annuals....brought back old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment...yes, like you I'm planting only that which I use - although I'm tempted to plant something exotic,I don't have a lot of space so it's the necessities that win. I bet they are lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete

veggie rules